Thursday, March 10, 2011

Mailed Inspiration

Today I received a little packet in the mail from Audry and Liza, friends from Ravelry.  What a fun little package of buttons and a beautiful handmade card from Liza.  Audry chose the items for me and had them sent.  Fun!  I love getting mail, especially when it is not a bill!
So, here is where the inspiration comes in.
  If you look at the picture, you will see that there is a fabric flower with a big button on it, right?  Well, believe it or not, when the greatest guy in the whole world came home this evening, he had this special package and I had the little flower in my hand, digging through a huge gallon size bag of buttons, you know, looking for the perfect one.  Well, of course when you have a package that is a surprise, everything else stops until it is opened and oohed and awed over.  As soon as the little box of buttons was opened, the little card was read, the perfect button was discovered!  So...back to the little flower.  Sew the button one and then it was one of those moments of realization that there was something else really cool in the little package...oh yes, the card!
This is not an ordinary, run of the mill, every day card.  This one is just really neat for several reasons.  It is very simple, but beautiful and elegant and though simple, time and thought really went into it.
The card is made from an index card which is a great idea for a couple reasons.  It is a perfect size really for a little card.  The inside is already lined for you when you open it, so you can write nice straight sentiments...yes, I tend to go all kinds of crooked when I write in a card.  The card is also very versatile.  It can be as elaborate or as simple and chic as you want.  Liza made a very cute little dress on the front of the card with what appear to be little stickers in the shape of a shirt and then a tissue paper skirt with little leaf stickers/cut-outs on it and she fashioned a fun little belt around the top of the skirt with little flower stickers and sequin thingys (yes, that is the technical term for them, I'm sure of it.  LOL)  The background of the card is dotted with glitter polka dots as well.  Truly a beautiful card and it will be cherished!

Now, the greatest part of the little package and the card is this...
I got to spend lots of time with the little female residents of the house this evening making cards similar to Liza's.  The teen girls thought this card was just "awesome," and "can we make one?"  So, we dug out all necessary items and spent the next while making cards that were inspired by Liza's little dress.  You can see mine in the background of the button/package photo.

As I said, the cards are made simply, but the decorating of them can be simple or elaborate, either way, very pretty in the end.  Keeping in mind my love for tiny thread and tiny hooks...I crocheted the lace to go around my dress on the hem, neck and sleeves.  It is done in a variegated brown cotton tatting thread.  Satin ribbon around the waist of the skirt/dress and miniature buttons adorn the front of the shirt/top.  It was lots of fun and it was completely free considering everything was already here in the house and readily available.  We used manila file folders for our cards and cut the corners with fun-shaped scissors.  Don't know what I'm going to do with my card yet but I'm sure something will come up, it always does. 

The teenagers of the house are anxious to finish theirs tomorrow after school and I'm hoping I will get pictures and can share.  I have a feeling there will be lots more of these in their future as excited as they got over them.  The oldest teen designed her own dress top/bust and it is really neat though we may have told her it more resembled the back end/tail of a really fancy fish.  Needless to say, that comment did not score any points with said teenage resident, but she continued creating with me so I know she's not too upset!  :)

So in the end, it was a wonderful evening with the little residents, thanks to an unexpected package full of inspiration!  Thanks Liza and Audry, you both made a wonderful evening in our house!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment